Friday, January 4, 2008

My old and new habits...for life

I think I know why the pounds have crept on over the past years. Especially during my pregnancies and afterwards. I was never this size until after the kids showed up. I am not blaming them, what is on me is all because of me. But, the kids keep me busy and I often end up being last on the priority scale. This year, this will HAVE to change. I have to take back my body!

As part of my goal, I have been trying to really be 'present' and 'mindful' when eating this year so far. I find it very hard to do, because I am eating between feeds, between diaper changes, between diaper emergencies, pick ups and drop off to the various places and especially when baby is crying. That is when I just shovel everything into my mouth without even realizing it or even tasting it. I eat because I am starving, so I grab whatever is in my path. And that is not healthy for me. The foods I choose are usually empty calories, or sometimes fruit. And not enough. So, I had to have a plan a good healthy plan which I now have, and I bought the book for easy reference when feeding Courtney. They make it really easy (and FREE) to do. Shopping lists by food groupings, and a solid plan so that I need not fail. So far so good. This new plan we are on is helping to go back to the way a body/person is meant to eat. So that is good.

I have been really hungry, and tired. So, I have upped my caloric intake. I want to lose weight and feel great, but I also have Courtney to take care of. The tired probably comes from all of the other areas in my life that keep me busy.

I know the way I am eating is not temporary (even if I win the Goo-Be-Gone) I will have to eat like this for life. I want to be the best person I can be. So, this year of weight loss is all for me. And by the time I am at my goal weight. Courtney will be almost a year old. Life will be in some ways easier I think, but new challenges always arrive as the kids grow older. I am taking this year to get back to the old/new me. I don't even know who I will be at the end. But I am looking forward to the process. Starting the process was my first step. You see, I am a go getter. I go after the things I want. And, I REALLY want this bad.

Another goal I have (along with Cliff) is to get into bed earlier. I am a night owl, and still am a night owl. I have always been a night owl. But my Cliffy is not. Even with a newborn baby in the house I still stay up into the wee hours of the night. But, that can make for dangerous eating habits too. Thankfully you can not eat whilst sleeping! So, our goal is 10:30 pm bed time. So far I have done this once this year lol. I am trying VERY hard. BUT, if I am up later I am not eating. I am drinking my green tea which is a lovely way to end the night.

I am also walking everyday. On my treadmill or out with Cliff. Too dark to go alone. As long as I do a minimum of 30 and a max of 90. 90 mins will obviously be when I am not breastfeeding, and I am in better health.

I am also doing a bit of strength training using my own body weight, and of course my 5 pound hand weights. And, once a week I will go to Jazzercise. I miss going! I miss MOVING my body. It feels really good to get out of the house. I need the boost of being away from everybody once in awhile. I really need 'me' time. And so I have to plan for it.

I took some 'before' photos. Front back and side on January 1st. I don't think I will be posting those. Too scary for me to post right now. I might save them for the end of the challenge. For the full effect of a HUGE weight loss.

I am forgiving myself of the past, and moving on in a more positive light. I am trying to reprogram my self talk to be more kind to myself. I have been to mean to myself. I need to treat my body and self with respect. So, I am working on that!

2 comments:

Jillian Kirby said...

Great Post Cathy! Once again, very inspiring!!
I'm struggling with the earlier bedtime too. I know it's necessary, but I find that if I do make it to bed by that time, I lie awake till 1am thinking of everything I should be getting done anyway! LOL

And I can't believe how regimented you are being with your eating! WOW! Good for you!! Can't wait to see those amazing before and after results! ;)
J

LauraC said...

I decided to just post my update every month, but I do have to say that having Jon on board is really helping! Just two nights ago he steered us towards the low-fat popcorn for a snack after an early dinner.

I can't imagine how you get any peaceful and mindful time to eat with 6 kids... if you can accomplish just that, it will be impressive!