Sunday, May 25, 2008

Long 18K Run...

This morning I did something monumental in my own eyes. I ran 18 kilometres through Langley and Cloverdale and back into Langley for 1 hour and 57 minutes. I ran by my old neighbourhood, I ran by a friends house. I saw horses, cows and beautiful fields of buttercups. It was a very hot day. I drank 4 bottles of water (8 oz each) and almost all of my Clif chews. I was still thirsty. At times there was absolutely no breeze, and at times breeze just as I needed it. I ran a lot of uphill, and some downhill. I am thankful for my running buddy Kevin for getting me through a very mentally and physically challenging run.

I am thankful that I am in good enough shape to run a run of that distance. I remember back to when I first started to run back after I had my fourth baby Catie. I was overweight, out of shape and I would watch in AWE of these 'crazy half marathoners' and 'marathoners' and be like...I cannot WAIT to be able to do that distance. And today, I was out on a long run just as I had seen years ago, and I was feeling like a million bucks out there (at times) at some point of the run, about 11K in, it was hot, we were running up a long hill and I was like I will make it, I can make it up to the top. Because I did that today. I ran 18K! I acheived that. I am 3.1K away from my goal race of 21.1K! SO attainable to me now!

It is amazing to me my mental mind shift, complete with my body changes and how wonderful that has made me feel. I feel happy, I feel light I feel confident. I feel assure of myself. I feel good about being a woman, and a Mom of six beautiful kids. I am a runner. I am an 'athlete' in training and that my friends is how I have wanted to feel for SO long. I am nearing a goal that I have wanted for several years now. And now, in several weeks I can check that off of my 'life list' and work towards an even bigger goal...I have so many goals. And even though I am busy etc. I can still work towards acheiving my goals. I find this to be even more important than before! I find the older I get, the more I believe in myself. The more I want for myself.

It is amazing and I just wanted to write this all down, so that when I go for a 20K run in 2 weeks, I can review and evaluate and move forward! More towards my huge goal.

My huge goal of running my first half marathon. That is going to be sweet victory for me! Sweet success.

I can imagine myself finishing STRONG and proud! I get chills thinking about this one moment, one blip in my life! Wow.

I will take the rest of the day to enjoy this runners high. I will treat myself to a new 'running skirt' and a new fuel belt as my running gear is getting too big. Today my fuel belt fell to the ground as I was running. Time to get some new stuff, try it all out BEFORE my goal race. Be prepared and focussed.

My next run will be a steady run, maybe on Tuesday. Running Wednesday tempo 5K, and maybe another run Friday night. Then another 18K on Sunday morning. Repeat, and then the 20K run the following Sunday. Then a bit of a taper...and then getting close to my run!

Well, I am off to enjoy the sunshine!

2 comments:

Shawna said...

Go strong Cathy - you have done it this far, keep going - You can do it!

? What is a running skirt ?

cathy said...

Thank Shawna!

http://www.runningskirts.com/running-skirts.html

skirts you can run in!!